Lamps.com 2013 Scholarship Essay Contest
“…nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.” So wrote Benjamin Franklin in 1789. Were he alive today, our fellow Philadelphian might also include high college tuition on that list. At Lamps.com, our Team is painfully and personally aware of the high cost of attending college. We also realize the undeniable value a college degree presents in today’s job market, and appreciate that when budgeting for college, every little bit helps. In that spirit, Lamps.com is excited to announce our first ever Lamps.com College Scholarship Essay Contest.
The premise is pretty simple, write us a 500-1000 word essay on the topic below and submit it by June 1, 2014. Our judges will review every submission and pick the one we think best addresses the topic. The winning essayist will win $1000 to use towards tuition, room & board, books, food, or really, however a winning essayist thinks $1000 would be best spent.
Here’s how to enter:
- Expound upon this question, in 500-1000 words:
- How does lighting affect your learning environment or living space?
- Include your name, address, email, phone number, school and year in your header.
- Name your file firstname.lastname.scholarship and save it as a Word Doc (e.g., joe.smith.scholarship.doc)
- Send your finished essay to email@example.com.
- Make sure you make your submission by June 1, 2014
Here’s what we are looking for in submissions:
- Something really cool. As in, really cool. Just like everything written on this page.
- Make sure it’s grammatically correct, has good punctuation, isn’t blatantly plagiarized, and is witty.
- Don’t send more than one entry. That’s annoying.
- We will pick a winner based purely upon our subjective review of your writing.
- Make sure you make your submission by June 1, 2014.
If you win we will cut you a nice, big check for $1000. Unfortunately, no, you will not get one of the huge, cardboard prize checks, just a normal bank check, which is still bigger than a regular check.
Rules & Disclaimers:
- Employees of Lamps.com, Inc. and associated companies, as well as their immediate family members are ineligible to participate.
- Only high school seniors headed to college in 2014, or college freshmen, sophomores or juniors who will be returning to college in 2014 are eligible to participate. Lamps.com reserves the right to verify your enrollment status.
- Only one entry per student is permitted.
- By submitting your essay and entering the Lamps.com College Scholarship Essay Contest, you agree that Lamps.com may use your essay, in whole or in part, for promotional purposes.
- By entering the Lamps.com College Scholarship Contest, you agree to grant copyright ownership of your work to Lamps.com, Inc. All essay submissions become the sole property of Lamps.com, Inc.
- Your personal information, such as your name, address, phone number, email address and school will not be published or shared with any third parties without your express written permission, and will be used only for the purpose of contacting you to distribute your prize.
- The prize is non-transferrable, non-refundable and cannot be substituted or exchanged for other prizes.
- These rules are subject to change at any time and without notice.